If you are one of our many clients that updates their own website, yay for you! You’re saving money by avoiding maintenance and update fees – which is one of the benefits we offer our clients. However – when updating your own site, it’s important to remember a few things.
Resize Your Images For SEO
One of the things you should pay attention to is image size. Images take up a lot of space – and therefore can be slow to load when someone is visiting your website. On today’s Internet, with high speed access – that’s not a huge problem for MOST website visitors – but it IS a huge problem for search engines. Part of the “ranking algorithm” used by search engines to determine where your site will be listed, is based on the speed at which your website loads. “Slow” websites will not rank as well as the faster competition. Therefore, you should always resize your images for SEO.
The is a simple step you take do to speed up your website’s load time: re-size all images BEFORE uploading them to your website.
But if you don’t own one of these tools, there’s a few free options. The easiest one we’ve found is Photoshop Express:
Click the link above. If the upload screen doesn’t appear, click “Get Started”, then follow these simple steps:
- click “Upload Photo”. (if a message appears, click “Upload” again)
- navigate to the image on your computer and click “Open”
- In the menu on the left side, click “Resize”
- click the button above the photo to “resize for the…. Web”
- click “Done” and then “Save” to save the image. It will automatically be saved using a DIFFERENT name (it adds “edited” to the end of the filename”
- access your website’s administration area, and upload the EDITED version of the photo.
Note – the Photoshop Express “resize for the Web” option sizes the image to be a maximum of 800 pixels high, or wide (depending on shape of the image). We feel that even that is a bit large, and you could use the “Custom Size” button and make the maximum width or height be 600 pixels by typing “600” into either one of the size fields – then following steps 5 and 6 above.
Either way – you will be saving time and improving your search engine results.